Hello friends. It was a sad week here in my Capitol Hill neighborhood of DC: Frager’s,Â our beloved hardware store (and 93-year old community institution), was destroyedÂ in a huge fire on Wednesday night. Thankfully everyone made it out of the store okay and the brick facade of the building survived the fire.Â The owners plan to rebuild and neighborhood businesses have offered temporary work for displaced employees, but I’m still reeling from the destruction.Â My husband and I moved to Capitol Hill in 2009, and Frager’s quickly became one of my favorite places on the Hill. That probably seems weird, but it’s so much more than a hardware store: my husband and I bought our first Christmas tree together from Frager’s. I’ve purchased enough paint that the guys behind the counter know Sophie by name. Frager’s supports local sports teams, employs neighborhood teens during the summer, and even hosts an egg hunt for little kids during Easter. I look forward to a future teenage Sophie getting her first part-time job there. I just can’t imagine Capitol Hill without Frager’s. Thankfully our neighborhood has a history of rallying together to help local families and businesses in need, and I’m looking forward to helping in any way that I can.
In honor of Frager’s. Photo by me via Instragram from back in 2011.
A few links for your weekend:
- Mini instagram projectors? What what?!?
- LOVE these watercolor party hats from Jordan
- The fascinating history behind one of my favorite songs (via Mara)
- MAKE: Raspberry chocolate fudge pops
- Congratulations to Kathryn on her baby girl and Michele on Meant to Be Calligraphy’s 4th anniversary!
This week on Oh So Beautiful Paper:
- National Stationery Show 2013, Part 10: Bison Bookbinding and Letterpress, Papersheep, Smarty Pants Paper Co., Sugarcube Press, Sesame Letterpress, Fisk & Fern, Penelope’s Press, McBitterson’s, Happy Cactus, Grey Cardigan
- National Stationery Show 2013, Part 11: An Open Sketchbook, Ilee Papergoods, Power & Light Press, L2 Design Collective, Chewing the Cud, La Familia Green, Tutta Lou, Orange Twist, Papillon Press, Paper Boat Studios, Kelp Designs
- National Stationery Show 2013, Part 12: Avie Designs, Holstee, Plane Paper, Pancake & Franks, Cardtorial, Girls Can Tell, Max & Bunny, Martha Celebrations, Russell + Hazel, Mara Mi
- National Stationery Show 2013, Part 13: Riverdog Prints, Paper Freckles, Oddball Press, Everything Little Miss, Ornament Letterpress, Dolce Press, Viva Greetings, The Permanent Collection
- Time to pick out your Father’s Day Cards! Check outÂ Part 1 and Part 2Â of our round up!
- Lovely whimsical illustrated Paris-inspired wedding invitations
- Honor + Daniel’s rustic barn wedding invitations
- Reorganizing your office? Check out our favorite drawer storage options!
- DIY Tutorial: Cute hot air balloon baby announcements
- Well Said Type: Gemmadonati
Check back soon for this weekâ€™s cocktail! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and Iâ€™ll see you back here next week.Â xoxo